Friday, December 14, 2007

Caca...languages...

So I found this incredibly funny so I thought I would try to share it here even though I know no one else will find it as entertaining as I did. It is just a small insight into the daily life of someone who does not speak the local language very well.

In the local library, there is a kids section that Chicco and I go to, usually about 3 or 4 times a week if we can. It's full of toys and games and he really likes it there and it is something different from being in the house all the time. Anyway, everytime we go there, no matter what time it is or anything else, he always does caca (poop). Literally, every SINGLE time!! It is absolutely crazy. I swear there is something in the air because it literally never fails. Anyway, now I am prepared for this and bring a diaper everytime and have to take him to the bathroom to change him. Now it is just part of the experience. Haha.

So we went to the library yesterday and sure enough, even though he just had pooped not even an hour ago, he did it shortly after we got there. To go to the bathroom I have to pass the librarian at the desk so, trying to be funny (which I now see should never be attempted in a foreign language, at least not in public), I said something to her. I said, "ogni volta qui, fatto caca." Now I was trying to say, "everytime we are here he does caca," but in Italian I always cut a few words out of sentences and people usually get the point. So what I should have said (I think) is, "igni volta siamo qui, lui fatte caca." So what I said instead was that everytime we are here I do caca. She must have thought I was absolutely insane sharing with her that fact! I think she understood what I was trying to say, but when I thought about it afterwards I couldn't help but crack up. However, I didn't know the words to say to correct myself. So she could very well think I am either really stupid or a very disgusting human being!

On a more positive note, my new friend Mimi, who is American from Denver, wanted to find someone to help her speak Italian. Just really someone to talk with once a week, so that they can correct her when she is wrong and tell her what to say. I offered up Andrea for the job and we started this week. It is actually really fun because the three of us get along really well. Also, since Andrea is young and not really our teacher so much as our friend, he is honest and tells us exactly what is right or wrong and not only the polite ways to say things. He is more realistic in teaching us everyday speech. We all came to my house and I made pasta and we had a lesson for about an hour or so. It was really helpful so far. I wasn't planning on participating but it was fun and we both took a lot of notes. We are going to try to do it every Tuesday and switch off between Mimi's house and mine and maybe learn some Italian cooking from Andrea as well..

And one more thing, I am very very very very excited to go home next week! I can't believe it is finally almost here. I am so excited for Christmas as it is my favorite time of year, and I am so happy that I can spend it with my family. I can't wait to see my family and friends and spend some time soaking up as much of America as possible to remember for the next seven months that I'm here.

Although, I will really miss my family and friends over here. I have made my own life out here and I am so happy about that. I feel like a part of my new Italian family and it makes me feel very comfortable. It will be weird to be home and away from all of them too. I kinda wish I could spend Christmas in both places at once.

The only other thing I am wishing for is a white Christmas in New Jersey because it doesn't seem like we get very much here in Montebelluna and I miss it!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest story ever! I can't wait for you to get home.
Mom

Julie said...

make shorter posts, I haven't even started reading this one but I'm already overwhelmed by it.