Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Carnival

Carnival is a big deal here in Italy. The biggest one is in Venice and it last for about ten days before Fat Tuesday (the day before Lent). It is a big deal and you can read more about it here.
I will be going there on Sunday and I am really excited. Andrea and I are going and it is a trip organized by the company he works for. So there will be some other people (I don't know how many) that work for the company too, including some Americans. It's cool because it is like a company trip but I get to go too! It is a whole organized event, with a boat ride, drinks and lunch on the boat, and some time to walk around Venice and take in the Carnival scene.

On Sunday I went to the Carnival in Montebelluna, which is small but it was pretty cool to see. It's mostly for kids, there are little rides and games for them, and they also dress up in costumes, like Halloween in America. The traditional Carnival costume (in Venice) is masks and old fashioned clothes, but tradition tends to get lost along the years. So kids wear all the same kinds of costumes that we wear in America on Halloween, some scary, some cute, some funny. And they have confetti all over the place and Silly String, and there is a parade with floats made from a bunch of different people, with different themes. There was a Cars float that I really wished I had Chicco with me to see because he is obsessed with that movie. They had giant cars that moved up and down and back and forth and also were playing the music from the movie. It was a really fun day.

No comments: