Saturday, April 5, 2008

Things I Do For Some Sun- Spring in Italy


Ok, now let me explain. Yes, that is my bed/couch/futon making its way out of my door. A friend and I were trying to figure out a way for me to "lay out" on my small little terrace and she jokingly mentioned me putting the futon out there. Well I took it seriously and decided to try it. I haven't actually tested it out yet but it seems to fit out there pretty perfectly so that's a first step a least.

Now, the second thing I wanted to mention is really the reason why I have to go to such measures to get some sun, even though I have a perfectly good park right downstairs and across the street from me. I have decided so far that Spring in Italy, or at least Montebelluna, is depressing. It is been upwards of 60 - 70 degrees and sunny for at least four or five days now and everyone is still wearing the exact same clothes they were wearing last week and all winter. As I was sitting out reading, I watched all the high school kids walk under me and every single one of them had a winter jacket on. It is 60 degrees out!! I understand everyone doesn't wear flip flops and tank tops in 60 degree weather like I do, but at least a little change would be nice. I know that in this weather at Villanova, people would be in bathing suits on Sheehan Beach. Makes me a little sad, but not really at all. Then I realize that I am in Italy and never have to go a class or study again in my life!!

Needless to say I don't really feel comfortable bringing a blanket over to the park and laying out quite yet. I get enough looks and stares just walking down the street so I am trying to avoid that one for a little bit. This is one aspect of "when in Rome" that my body won't let me abide by, but at least I will try to spare the people of Monebelluna the shock for a few more weeks, except for the ones walking under my terrace seeing me sunbathing on a futon, but oh well. You do what you gotta do!
So after lunch and trying out the futon, I decided it would be more useful and comfortable to turn it around to face the inside of the house. This way I could get more sun too.



Of course within ten minutes of getting comfortable and resuming finishing my book, this cloud appeared over my head.

It is so giant that I don't think we will see then sun for the rest of the afternoon. It figures with my luck! Oh well, at least I know how to do it quickly now for the next time!
...and now it's raining... What a day!! It was actually a pretty weird day because the book that I just finished was about a family who sold their house and possessions to travel the world with their three kids. As I am reading all about their experiences, I have been spending all day posting my stupid little experiences on my year off. Corny, I know, but pretty cool.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a genius!!! Yep, I'm taking full credit for the futon on the porch! I would have done the exact same thing with it facing inwards! Looks so cozy...although sorry about the giant cloud!
I have been trying to figure out how I can lay out in my yard here in Asolo without all the people walking by seeing me-think I am going to have to build a fenced in area, though...so I don't think it's going to happen!

Anonymous said...

Hi Ryan!

Sorry about your weather, but I do have to "rub it in a little" since it is 87 and sunny in Naples!!! Unfortunately, along with the high temps comes the freakin humidity which is very bad. It is too early for these high temps, I have a feeling we will have an early and extra hot summer down here. I love reading your messages. My foot is coming along, I am finally able to get a shoe on again. The job is going well also, we leave in about 3 weeks for Arizona to visit Tippy's sister for 10 days. She is busy planning our stay, I think we will be going to the Grand Canyon for an overnight get away. Hopefully, we can get to RI for some time this summer. Since I am working year around don't think I can take a month off. I rented "Under the Tuscan Sun" and loved it. The scenery was absolutely beautiful. Your Mom told me that you all visited the location where the movie was filmed. This is turning into being a book chapter!!!

Ciao and love,
Zia Elisabetta

Anonymous said...

It must run in the family. The first sunny day and im in my shorts and flip flops, getting looks from pale pasty nerds bundled up in their heavy winter jackets. I get depressed every time i go in my room cuz the window is so small and i get zero sun which means im not bronzing at all. But if I sit on my couch at just the right time the sun angles in just right so i get about a half hour of sun. Im all kinds of excited about that. Cant wait to see some pics of the beach once it starts gettin warm enough. So jealous you dont have to do any work or anything. its time to bronze on my couch. Ill talk to ya later. Love Ya