Friday, November 16, 2007

One More Thing

One of my fellow expat friends reminded of what is probably the number one thing that I miss about America, each and every day. I somehow forgot to mention it (maybe that is a sign that I am getting used to it after all).

I really do enjoy reading other expats blogs as ir is quite comical to hear about them going through, and how they got through, some of the same things I did or still am going through.

Anyway, the number one thing I miss is...

GARBAGE DISPOSAL!!

I miss it so much. Here we have to dump all of the extra contents of our food out into the trash, which is it's one separate can so it is never very pretty. I don't know how people can stand but since mine contains mostly of fruit remains, it smells so bad that I had to put it outside. It is really annoying and really gross, and now that its outside and it is cold outside, I have to put shoes on to go out there. Ugh! So much work!

She also reminded me of how I miss grapes. Ok, so they have grapes here that actually look delicious and refreshing, obviously more so in the summer. So I was tricked a few times by them,. but they are deceiving because they have seeds in them. Biting into a grape and finding a seed and then to have to find somewhere to put the seed is just far to much work for me for a piece of fruit. So I will have to wait until I am back in America for some seedless grapes.. And on that same note, something that I knew I would miss when I came here, is skim milk. Now, I have been very lucky because I was thinking that all I would find was whole milk but they actually do have whole, 1/2 whole (as they call it), and skim. However, these all come out of boxes that are not refridgerated. So it is not fresh milk. The only fresh milk that they have is whole. So while I have been lucky and been able to use milk for my cereal, I havent really been able to drink much which is something I never went one day without back at home.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Ryan, skim and part skim milk are available fresh. In fact, I have a liter of part skim in my fridge right now. I'm trying to remember the colors- I think Parmalat part skim has a pink cap and Granarolo has an aqua cap. It may be that you're getting to the store after it's all been sold out- that happens pretty often to me. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

OK...honey. You really don't have to spit out grape seeds. They are edible!! And not that bad at all. Oh boy how I've spoiled you!! But I do enjoy how you appreciate our way of doing things at home. Don't sweat the small stuff.....your'e in ITALY!!!! I love you, Mom.