Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Happy Days

Yeah I know it has been almost two weeks since I have posted, but nothing has happened that I could really write about. The past two weekends have been pretty quiet and I did a lot of babysitting rather than going out. On Sundays, I usually go to another town nearby in the afternoon and walk around. This past Sunday I went to Castelfranco, which was pretty cool, other than the fact that as soon as we got there our waitress spilled my wine ALL over me, so I had to walk around the rest of the afternoon like that.

For some reason, I have been exceptionally happy lately. I'm not really sure why but I think it has to do with the fact that I am getting more and more comfortable here and have established some pretty good routines. Yesterday, I had a perfect day. It was nothing too exciting but for some reason to me, it was perfect. In the morning, I went to the library for a "women's meeting," and to sign up for a card. Unfortunately the meeting turned out to be down the street so I decided to wait until next week to go there. But I got a library card and walked around the library. I spent over two hours there. I looked at all the english books they have, the movies, the english magazines they have, and I sat and read Time magazine and then my book in the periodical room. I think I will make that a new routine, to go to the library once a week and read the new Time magazine.

Anyway, then I was really proud of myself because both of the watches that I have here stopped, and needed new batteries. So I went to the jeweler and asked him if he could put new batteries in. He did and it was very cheap. So I successfully had an entire conversation in Italian, which I have done before but for some reason yesterday I was proud.

Then I came home, ate lunch, and took a nap. When I woke up, I actually got it together to go for a walk to the gym and work out for about an hour, where I finished my book. It felt good to have made myself go. And then I had dinner with Luca and Chicco and went to bed. But it felt like the perfect day. :)

I was thinking yesterday about how weird it will be to go home in the middle of this journey, because I have gotten so used to life around here. I am used to going to the stores and saying Ciao or Boungiorno when I walk in, and saying Scusi or Permesso as I try to walk around someone, and saying Quanto Costa when I want to buy something. I know these are just little things but they are things that I do everyday and it will be weird to have to stop that when I'm home. I'm sure I will use some Italian by accident and it will quite interesting, but also cool because that means I am learning!!!

Ok, thats all for now, tomorrow I am heading to Venice for the day, so hopefully on Friday I will have some new pictures to post.

Ciao!

1 comment:

Stelle in Italia said...

just found your blog! your happy day sounds great--going to the library sounds fantastic (i haven't ever really done that since coming here to macerata five years ago! what a good idea!). anyway, i hope you continue to enjoy your time here in italy!