Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Turin and train travel....

Well the train ride was actually pretty uneventful, other than the fact that it was of course 1 hour late getting to Reggio and even later getting to Turin. Also, it was the smallest train I have ever seen. I dont know what sleeping cars are like in America but I am pretty sure they cant possibly be like this one. I couldnt even fit my bags through on their wheels so that was quite difficult. But other than the bag difficulty and the wake up call I got at 3 am that I was in the wrong bed, it went pretty well and didnt feel anywhere close to 17 hours which was good cuz that sounds like forever! There wasnt even a restaurant car or any food either which is weird for a 17 hour train ride. But I made out ok.

So now I am in Turin and I really love it here. Yesterday I met 2 families. I liked one and not so much the other one. Unfortunately the one that I did like (I only met the mom, but am going to her house to meet the kids tomorrrow, they are 3 and 1) doesnt have a place for me to stay, so I would have to work with her and my agent to find an apartment. So I dont know about that job, but I will see how everything goes tomorrow and see if I like everything else about it and then go from there. The mother seems very normal which is always a good thing.

I still habe 2 other options at the moment. I have kind of a busy week planned. Tomorrow (wed) I will meet that family that I was talking about. Then thursday I will take a train to Montebelluna, which is about 4 1\2 hours from here. There I will meet (and stay the night with) a family who has a 20 month old, and the possibility of caring for a 6 month old who is also related and lives in the same building, and I would have my own apt right next door to the family which could be kinda nice because it is completely paid for and right next to them but it is also private so I could have it to myself. I am excited about meeting them.

Then I come back to Turin on Friday, and I am off again on Saturday morning to Lucca, a town in Tuscany, which is about a 3 hour train ride. I will meet a family who have 3 older kids (6,10, and 11 i think) and I would live in their house with them I believe. I will stay the night with them as well and return to Turin on Sunday to think everything over, make a decision and collect my luggage. By then I will hopefully have found a family I love and be starting sometime next week.

The good thing is that even if I dont end up finding a job I will have been in Italy for 2 months and seen most all of it by the end of this week, including the time I have spent here 2 summers ago. So thats the worst case scenario because I am having the opportunity to see so much this next week, anyway.

No comments: